Users are increasingly demanding as to time of loading a Web page and more particularly of a site. It happened to everyone at one time or another to leave a page because it was too long to be displayed. The same for a video for example. Consumers and Internet users now want to have access to the information they need as quickly as possible. It is in this sense that Google -. and other search engines -will encourage the websites having a short loading time. Simply put, your website appears quickly and more your SEO natural will have the chances to be of good quality.
Some sites unfortunately- with many modules installed -dull and put a phenomenal time to open on the screen of the user. These sites are then usually set aside by the search engines and will be lost to the rock bottom of the abyss. Fortunately, many solutions exist today to compensate for this loading time.
Today I will introduce you WP Rocket- who is for me - the best cache plugin WordPress. A module created by the french, which features more than all the other plugins.
- A cache of Premium, essential plugin for WordPress
- What is WP Rocket in its entirety?
- The features of WP Rocket
- Additional tabs: offers me more WP Rocket?
- Comparative WP Rocket
- Price of WP Rocket
- WP Rocket - Feedback
- Bonus: performance notes
A cache of Premium, essential plugin for WordPress
A high loading speed promotes good SEO of a website. This is why it is essential to look closely at this issue and to put everything in place to improve this aspect. You want your site under WordPress be quick? That it ranks among the first on the search engines? Do not miss the opportunity to use WP Rocketthe plugin that will bring you full satisfaction.
Paid extension, this plugin allows simply to speed up the loading of pages of a website. Activated, you will see significant improvements to the pages load. Good improvements greater than its competitors offer.
Which team behind WP Rocket?
Before getting into the details about the features of the module, see who is behind this project. Three people are originally: Jean-Baptiste Marchand Arvier, Jonathan Buttigieg and Julio Potter. Three of them they managed to condense everything into a plugin we're looking to improve the caching of his site and so its speed of loading.
Today the team is composed of 7 people, for the development, support and marketing. A complete team that helps WP Rocket to be available in several languages such as English, German, Spanish and Italian, in addition to the french.
In August 2016 the plugin already counts over 110,000 facilities and the number continues to rise.
How does it work?
But then, how does this plugin work? What is that makes him the best on the market today? For what reasons have as much success with WordPress users? This plugin was just what others have not: a quick installation with 2/3 clicks and a performance of exceptional caching. Basically, you buy the WordPress pluginyou download and install it and let you guide by a few checkboxes. Voila: WP Rocket is installed.
The four main functions WP Rocket that will revolutionize your site:
- Caching of pages : with this feature, the pages are cached to speed up the loading of pages.
- Pre-loading of the cache : so that the engines index your site at best, the plugin load once your site. So the cache is already taken into account, and the speed is already more than interesting.
- Useful image loading : all images are not useful on every page? And if you load that the images on the page? This will improve without doubt the time to open your page.
- Compression of the code : by compressing the code, the weight of the pages is lower and the pages load faster.
What is WP Rocket in its entirety?
Is simple to use and easy to access? Find my tutorial to see how to install and configure this plugin to take advantage of its performance.
Once your order placed on the official siteyou just have to download your add-on. Next, go to your WordPress administration to install it.
Install and enable the module on WordPress
Go to the tab «» Extensions "your WordPress administration. Attention : for people using the feature on WordPress ' multi-site', you must go through the "Extensions" of your multi-site tab to be able to install it.
In this tab, click on «» Add «then on «» Upload an extension« . The tool will then ask you to directly send the file .zip on your admin.
Once installed, click on «» Activate » (or "activate on the entire network" If you go through a multi-site) and your plugin is ready to be configured.
Find the module in the list of extensions
Return to the list of modules and search for "WP Rocket".
Once found, click on "Settings" to go on all the parameters of the module. For other links, here is their different function:
- "Docs": takes you directly to the documentation page on the official site of the module.
- 'Support': redirects you to the contact page of the official site support.
- 'Disable': will make it unusable to the module.
- 'Edit': allows you to change certain resources of the module, but I advise you to leave it as such. This is especially useful if you have incompatible plugins with some features of WP Rocket.
Note: you can also go to the settings of the module directly passing the mouse over the tab in the top menu bar or "Settings" then "WP Rocket" left by hovering the mouse on "WP Rocket" then "settings".
Configure the WP Rocket module
By clicking on the link "Settings" you can configure the extension and benefit from the many advantages for your site. Here are the different tabs on which it is possible to perform actions:
Admire the result of speed of loading pages
With and without the plugin loading speed is different. By visiting the PageSpeed Insights from Google tool, you will see the improvement in loading speed.
The features of WP Rocket
Know the different settings and learn how to choose the right to get the best results
Install the extension is well, understand and configure it correctly is better. I'll propose the main functions of the module and explain what should be configurations to get interesting loading speed for Internet users and for your SEO. You can also read the full Rocket WP tutorials.
Tab "Basic Options".
In this tab, you can configure everything that is said "basic" for the module.
- Deferred image loading. Two options are to check if desired: images and iframes & video. By checking one or the other this allows to tell the website doesn't load the so-called resources "heavy" as a last resort, i.e. when the user will see them. By doing this, you undeniably optimize the loading of your pages. Only problem: your images are visible only when the user will arrive at this place.
- Optimization of the files. Here's the whole point of the module. When your html or css files for example are passed to the user as they are written in your software, the http requests will take longer to read this file from top to bottom. By concatenating all, you make a better speed. Indeed, your browser (or search engines) will read after all queries to do, without the spaces, jumps of line and comments. HTML, CSS, JS, and Google Fonts are the options that you can check and allowing to concatenate one or the other of these files.
I still have your attention on a point: there may be errors in the display depending on how your site is coded. It is therefore not always recommended to tick all the options.
- Mobile cache, RSS feeds, user, SSL. By checking one or the other of these boxes, you put the files in cache for users and specific files. This allows to speed up loading of pages on various media and contexts.
- Emoji. By default the emojis are not those of WordPress. As a result of external requests are made each time. By disabling external emoji, will reduce external queries. A significant reduction.
- Cache cleanup time. Cache time lets say for how long are your files in cache. If you set 12: for example, after 12 h of cache files will be deleted and created again. It is recommended to put a delay of 24 hours if you have an RSS feed or tweet stream.
Create a CRON job to clear the cache
WP Rocket includes an option of automatic cache cleanup. You can set yourself time in the options. But I offer you another way to clean it using a CRON job. Fortunately for us WP Rocket includes features for developers.
To do this, I invite you to create a file 'clean_rocket.php')or other) and copy and paste the following code. Concretely, it allows to clear the cache of the domain and minifies files generated by the Rocket WP cache plugin.
'; Remove all minify cache files rocket_clean_minify(); echo 'Clean Minify OK'; }
Tab 'Advanced Options '.
This tab requires all the same to know a minimum. Ride on various fields:
- Pre-loading of DNS queries. To use wisely. A bad setting could lead to misuse of your site to your users.
Example query to perform: Add the piece of code '//fonts.googleapis.com '. By adding this query, the page faster because we anticipated the loading of the external source 'http://fonts.googleapis.com '.
- Clear the cache on the following pages during the update of an article. The plugin has the advantage of being efficient on all points. However, as soon as an article is updated or added, some pages don't are not updated until the cache is not re - create. This can cause display problems if we forget to manually clear the cache. Excluding some pages, the problem is resolved.
Example url to return: the site's home page or category page. If you have a theme configured with pictures on the front page, it may be interesting to include these pages in this option. How to configure? By adding the urls complete desired pages, one below the other so that this is taken into account.
- Never cache the following pages. This option is useful if you have pages that need to be updated on a regular basis without cache option. Note, however, that pages of type 'basket' or 'command' woocommerce are automatically excluded from the cache files. So you don't need to enroll in this field.
- Do not cache pages that use the following cookies. If some cookies are important to you and require to operate without caching so I recommend to specify in this field. This is particularly the case for the baskets running PHP under WooCommerce.
- Hide the pages that use the following strings (GET parameters) query. The query strings are visible queries in the url and appearing after a?. By default, WP Rocket does not cache some pages using the GET parameter.
Configuration example: in your URL, you can have a request of this type: the character string 'p = 21641' http://www.geekeries.fr/?p=21641 is a query string. To make this request faster and updated cache, you will just notice the letter 'p' in the field to hide the pages that use the query strings.
- Never cache for the following User-Agents. If you use the User-Agent and some need to not be cached, specify them directly in this field.
- Reduce the number of files minifiés into one for CSS or JS. I do advise you to activate one of these options. It will not reduce the loading time of optimally. In addition, according to the website, this may damage its way to display. On the other hand, if you use this system, it is possible to specify then what CSS or JS files are to be excluded from the process of minification.
- Files JS to be included in the footer when the process of minification. Some resources need to be loaded into the top of the page. Adding urls to files in this field, you take the risk that your site does not appear correctly. I advise you to test the different views. Whatever it is, if it still work, it is always more beneficial to put the files in the footer for a best speed of execution of queries.
It is the same for the option: lazy loading JS files.
The site database can also slow down his load. It is more heavy and more it requires effort. WP Rocket offers an option to optimize it.
- Cleaning of the content. On WordPress, the content (pages and articles) are heavy and take up a lot of space on the database. If the options 'auto draft' and 'revision' are interesting, it remains that they are not for the database. Each revision, each saved draft marks a line in your database. It is the same for content put in trash.
I invite you to check the "revision" and "auto draft". These tables will automatically be emptied. Attention still has well saved so your content when you write them. By checking these boxes you clean the database and prevent it to fill with useless information.
- Cleaning of the comments. Just like the content, comments take up space, especially comment spam. With this option, undesirable or updated comments in trash are deleted.
I advise you to check at least "cleaning comment spam" because you will never need this content. Rather than keep, so delete them.
- Cleaning of the transients. Temporary data stored in your database, the transients are useful for some applications. However, some don't remove the database, it must then force their removal to optimize its basis weight.
- Cleaning the database. With this option, you let WP Rocket optimize tables in need.
- Automatic cleaning. You can with the plugin schedule an automatic cleaning of the database on a daily, weekly or monthly. Or you do start cleaning manually by clicking a button.
I recommend the automatic cleaning. Simple and fast, you don't forget to do it and you are sure that your database will always be optimized.
Tab 'preload '.
- Activate the robot of preloading. With this option you can optimize the user experience and search engines. No cache will be generated for visitors, or visitors. WP Rocket takes care of everything and takes the entire stream directly on their server. How it works? A robot comes to your site, simulates a visit and puts the files in cache.
- Preloading of the sitemap. By using this option, you allow your sitemap to be preloaded on a new visit. Automatically, WP Rocket detects if you already have a sitemap to set up (especially if you use the YOAST plugin)
- Visit the URL interval. Attention to the data you enter in this field. In order to avoid overloading the server, you can enter a higher than default 500ms given.
- Sitemaps XML to use for preloading. Enter the sitemap of your site so that it is preloaded directly.
Additional tabs: offers me more WP Rocket?
This option only concerns people with a Varnish server. If you have one, you will need to enable the option. If not, ignore this tab.
In this tab, you can enable cache 'CloudFlare' If you use it. Beware, the CloudFlare options will need to be configured on the tab which will be added if you check the option. With WP Rocket, you can activate the mode of development for example.
In addition, this tab to avoid overloading your server by diluting the queries to other servers)or via a CNAME: under domain). This will improve the page download.
For example: images.geekeries.fr will show the same content as www.geekeries.fr. We can use this url to view images and thus dilute the queries to the server images.geekeries.fr
Tab 'white mark '.
You want to remove all references to WP Rocket on the module? It is possible for that you need to display the option but it's hidden base.
To do this, edit the file «» WP - config.php "and enter the following constant:
define ('WP_RWL', true);
Once this added constant and the file is saved, turning in the module settings, the "white label" tab will appear.
In this tab you can access certain options available also in the task bar at the top of the administration of WordPress. You can click 'empty the cache', 'preload the cache', "empty opcache", "import / export settings" or even become a beta tester.
Tab 'tutorials '.
Videos were created to explain how to set up the module, which configurations perform and everything there is to know about the different tabs. Listed by category, the tab takes you to the full videos on YouTube. A real gold mine of information.
Some frequently asked questions are available on this tab. They usually resume the bugs encountered by users or the frequently asked questions. This tab is in English.
Tab 'medium '.
From your WordPress administration, you have the possibility to contact support by sending a message. A quick and simple measure that will give you an answer as soon as possible. Be sure that your answer is not already in the FAQ before sending your application. In all cases you need check the box specifying that you read the fair questions, and the answer is not.
Comparative WP Rocket
More interesting features placing WP Rocket topped the list of plugins to cache. Brief review on these features and those of its main competitors.
Focus on the present comparative table on WP Rocket site:
|WP Rocket||Hyper Cache||Super Cache||W3 Total Cache|
|Preloading the cache||✔||✕||Partially||Partially|
|Google Fonts optimization||✔||✕||✕||✕|
|Optimization of the images||✔||✕||✕||✕|
|Delayed the JS loading||✔||✕||✕||✕|
WP Rocket vs Hyper Cache
The table speaks for itself and shows how Hyper Cache has a lot of gap and WP Rocket behind. Indeed, Hyper Cache offers a quick setup, and a system of caching. The rest of the options available in WP Rocket are unavailable for Hyper Cache.
WP Super Cache vs. Rocket
Super Cache offers more options than the previous. Although it is still well away from WP Rocket, in common options include: getting cache, CDN, mobile detection, users connected.
Partially, it is also possible to see as options for preloading the cache, multisite and multilingual compatibility. Super Cache is so far WP Rocket performance.
WP Rocket vs W3 Total Cache
W3 Total Cache is certainly the most serious competitor among all cache plugins. The same features are more numerous than the previous two, and its use is rather quick to learn.
Caching, compression, gzip, cache of the browser, minification, CDN, mobile detection, users and import / export are the options in common with WP Rocket. Partially, there is also the multisite compatibility / multilingual and preloading the cache.
A plugin really interesting but not still arriving close to WP Rocket which today offers features very full that you would expect from a plugin of this type.
Price of WP Rocket
In order to meet the requirements of each, the WP Team Rocket has implemented 3 types of rates.
These three tariff proposals are quite honest and allow all holders of website to access a full plugin and efficient power caching.
These offers include the purchase of the module and 1 year of support and update. These licenses are not subscriptions, once one of them commanded you to keep the plugin to life. The difference lies in the fact that you won't have more support and more access to the updates. This, to renew your license.
WP Rocket - Feedback
Having test plugins like W3 Total Cache, which I already had good performance, I was skeptical about the effectiveness of WP Rocket. It sells as one of best cache plugin for WordPress on the market, but is it really? By installing and finding the tool, I was completely convinced by its effectiveness and simplicity. These features exceed for me all those other plugins from cache.
The plugin is configured in a few clicks. No need to know a lot about coding to be able to use this plugin, a real force for site owners.
Also fast and effective that the plugin WP Rocketsee for yourself:
Request sent on 16/08/26 at 7:09
Alice answer 26/08/16 at 10:47
Here are the results I got by activating the plugin on mode.geekeries.fr:
Pingdom Speed Test without WP Rocket data
Pingdom Speed Test with WP Rocket data
GTMetrix without WP Rocket data
GTMetrix with WP Rocket data
Bonus: performance notes
To go further, Jean-Baptiste has also published an article on the blog of WP Rocket to take back from the different memos GT Metrix, PingDom etc. Why you should beware of performance as GT Metrix notes ?
Conclusion: Focus on the loading time
I agree with Jean-Baptiste to 200%. Different tools use a system of notes to find out quickly if your site uses good practices or not. But you can use best practices and have a loading time of 20 seconds.
So, I convinced you of the power of the plugin WP Rocket? I look forward to your feedback of experiences/stories via comments.